The Aquaclear 110 is one of the most, if not the most powerful HOB on the market. It moves 500 US gallons per hour and is rated for aquariums up to 110 gallons. This rating of 500 gph ‘one ups’ its big competitor, the Emperor 400 (which moves 400 gph). This feature makes the AC 110 an excellent mechanical filter.
- The power of this HOB is unmatched. It moves a lot of water and is great for tanks that need a high turnover rate.
- This is a large filter that holds a good amount of water and filter media. Its also not form fitted, so you can pretty much customize what you want to use as biomedia and floss.
- The motor is removable from the filter on all Aquaclear filters. This makes for easy cleaning.
- This is a reliable filter. I’ve had several for several years without a break down.
- Availability. Aquaclear filters have come on strong in the past 5-6 years or so and are seemingly as common as some Marineland filters. You shouldn’t have too much trouble finding one of these.
- If your impellar happens to melt from running it dry, or become damaged from sand, most of the time these filters are still going to run. You might think this is a good thing… its not. The reason this is a Con is because they are so loud its unbearable. I had to toss two filters that were damaged from sand because they were just so noisy. They were still fully functional, but it was like running the vaccum and lawn mower… at the same time.
- If you are looking for a filter that is a strong biological converter, this isn’t it. It will still get the job done, but I think that Marineland Bio-wheel filters really fit that niche better than most.
- This filter needs to be cleaned often. Due to the high over turn, (depending on what you use for filter media) it clogs rapidly. Clogs slow flow, and that defeats the purpose of having this filter.